Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A Tribute to Robin Williams (1951-2014)

I freely admit that I am not familiar with Robin Williams' career in its entirety. I've seen a lot of his movies and some of his stand-up, but I know there's a lot of what he gave the world that I have yet to experience. What I do know is that I have never seen Robin Williams be bad in anything he set out to do. He's been in bad movies, as have just about all actors at some point in their careers, but he himself was not bad in them. Even with a sub-par script, he always gave it his all. The sheer warmth and utter joy of his performances brought a smile to my face even if sometimes the jokes he was given couldn't. When he smiled, the whole movie smiled with him. When he laughed, the world seemed a little less darker. I remember how, when a friend of mine was quoting some of Robin's raunchier, a lot more adult-oriented humor, I was a little set aback at first. Back then, I knew him best as the lovable clown and I couldn't imagine him deliver such crude, albeit really funny jokes. Then I watched his stand-up and I didn't need to imagine it. It was my favorite lovable clown, cussing like mad and it worked like a charm. I remember the first time I saw Robin Williams take on a role with a heftier dose of drama in Good Will Hunting, and how effortlessly he slipped into it, yet still freely incorporating humor, without in any way jeopardizing the more serious tone the movie required. His range as an actor and a comedian is truly something to be admired and this is coming from someone who hasn't even all of his work yet. Robin Williams was a man of many talents - a gifted comedian, a great actor and an all around wonderful human being. He will be sorely missed, but never forgotten. May he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment